Zavvi - Retailer chat [Europe]

Zavvi.jpg

**Retailer charges cards when items ship

Per update received at HDN, starting with August 4,2014 releases, Zavvi will ship in boxes again.

[email protected]

Possible contact #s:

- 08442 640702
- 01606 336169
- 08442 439088

Thanks yeslek!

Current packaging is a cardboard mailer with the steelbook usually wrapped in either a layer of bubble wrap or foam

Update 9/5/2013:

https://www.hidefninja.com/forums/showpost.php?p=753977&postcount=1732

Current packaging-thanks dv8mad:

Previous packaging:

3/20/2013 Comparison of Play's old packaging to Zavvi's new packaging-thanks Zesty!

newpackage.jpg

14/03/2013 By Wreck:
I now have confirmation that I can announce ... for all those worried about future packaging from Zavvi. My Play contact has been working with zavvi as well on this mission for better packaging. Between the 3 of us and the future comments from this community after its in place I'm sure it will be go over well.
View attachment 29368
from the pick line ......... :thumbs:
foam inside

1/19/2013 Member Nyvo tweeted Zaavi about packaging concerns. They said they may be looking into alternate packaging methods.

Zavvi shipping international list:
Zavvi UK

Box update1- 1/7/2014

Box update 2-1/17//2014-we're told they have boxes again.

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 562
Last edited by a moderator:
is this true? somehow i have a hard time believing it is
@paulboland
View attachment 498286
No it's not true and Zavvi will need to refund customers by making that claim when customers do get hit by customs.

Note Zavvi still also has in FAQ under Payments and Delivery Vat only included if you based in UK and customers based outside UK can expect customs to look for custom duty and taxes when doing delivery.

There has been a good few customers in Europe who had postal carrier/courier look for vat payment on behalf of customs before and after January 1st 2021
There has been a increase of number of customers been hit by customs after January 1st 2021 in EU countries that previously did not have this happen.

Guernsey is not part of EU or UK
Guernsey is a British crown dependencie
A order dispatched from Guernsey is not a item shipped from EU or UK

Also If an order has been shipped from EU warehouse it must clearly be listed on Parcel and EU vat listed as Paid

Zavvi have to do the following by July 1st 2021
In regards to delivery to address in EU
Register for Vat ID in a EU country and that vat payment on orders goes to Revenue in EU country.
It's essential Zavvi do register for Vat ID in a EU country.

1) Remove UK 20% Vat from price at checkout
2) Apply EU Vat at checkout instead and clearly be listed in order.
3) Include Invoice inside parcel showing EU vat has been paid
4) Cn 22 Custom label list Vat amount paid
5) EU Vat ID code be included on parcel
This can be part of a barcode.

1/2/5 very important so customers do not end up doing double vat payment.

At the moment some customers may still be lucky and avoid customs looking for payment but its just luck if they do.
Customs very busy at the moment so some parcels may go unchecked.

If Zavvi don't do the correct procedure there will be a increase Customs and postal carriers looking for payment and that will also include a handling fee

Last edited:
No it's not true and Zavvi will need to refund customers by making that claim when customers do get hit by customs.

Note Zavvi still also has in FAQ under Payments and Delivery Vat only included if you based in UK and customers based outside UK can expect customs to look for custom duty and taxes when doing delivery.

There has been a good few customers in Europe who had postal carrier/courier look for vat payment on behalf of customs before and after January 1st 2021
There has been a increase of number of customers been hit by customs after January 1st 2021 in EU countries that previously did not have this happen.

Guernsey is not part of EU or UK
Guernsey is a British crown dependencie
A order dispatched from Guernsey is not a item shipped from EU or UK

Also If an order has been shipped from EU warehouse it must clearly be listed on Parcel and EU vat listed as Paid

Zavvi have to do the following by July 1st 2021
In regards to delivery to address in EU
Register for Vat ID in a EU country and that vat payment goes to Revenue in EU country.
It's essential Zavvi do register for Vat ID in a EU country.

1) Remove UK 20% Vat from price at checkout
2) Apply EU Vat at checkout instead and clearly be listed in order.
3) Include Invoice inside parcel showing EU vat has been paid
4) Cn 22 Custom label list Vat amount paid
5) EU Vat ID code be included on parcel
This can be part of a barcode.

1/2/5 very important so customers do not end up doing double vat payment.

At the moment some customers may still be lucky and avoid customs looking for payment but its just luck if they do.
Customs very busy at the moment so some parcels may go unchecked.

If Zavvi don't do the correct procedure there will be a increase Customs and postal carriers looking for payment and that will also include a handling fee
Thanks for all this explanation and clarifications @paulboland , really appreciated!
I can also confirm, as I received two weeks ago something ordered in January, and it come through customs.
And on the package was the all-the-time-present-on-zavvi-shipments "yellow label" that CLEARLY states that it should be charged by customs.
Also, strange thing, from two items ordered, I only received the one with lower cost (about 11 Euros), but not the second one (I think more than double amount), which didn't show any sign of arriving, despite being shipped the same day (I got the dispatch mails minutes apart).
Therefore, EU customers, be aware!
I think this should be somehow concluded in some sort of punishment for Zavvi, which clearly breaks the commerce laws and only takes benefits from ANYTHING and EVERYTHING (no matter how small it is, they stoop to it).

Last edited:
Reactions: paulboland
Thanks for all this explanation and clarifications @paulboland , really appreciated!
I can also confirm, as I received two weeks ago something ordered in January, and it come through customs.
And on the package was the all-the-time-present-on-zavvi-shipments "yellow label" that CLEARLY states that it should be charged by customs.
Also, strange thing, from two items ordered, I only received the one with lower cost (about 11 Euros), but not the second one (I think more than double amount), which didn't show any sign of arriving, despite being shipped the same day (I got the dispatch mails minutes apart).
Therefore, EU customers, be aware!
I think this should be somehow concluded in some sort of punishment for Zavvi, which clearly breaks the commerce laws and only takes benefits from ANYTHING and EVERYTHING (no matter how small it is, the stoop to it).
In regards to delivery to a address in EU
A parcel if value is €22 or lower until June 30th 2021 no vat is required to be paid
That changes though on July 1st 2021 vat will need to be paid no matter the value

It's very important Zavvi register for Vat ID in a EU country
It's also very important Zavvi remove UK 20% vat from price at checkout before they apply EU vat on order.

Retailers based outside EU from July 1st 2021 have to have in place EU vat be applied at checkout and be registered for EU vat ID if delivery address is based in EU

Note if value of goods is over €150 customs duty will also required to be paid
Retailers are only responsible for the Vat be charged at checkout but some might also apply Customs duty on a order.
If customs duty not paid on order postal carrier/courier will collect payment when doing delivery.

Note
Vat and Customs duty are different things.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Felix_ro
This all make sense @paulboland. I thought it is a another scam from Zavvi and it really was. Btw what about Uk Amazon. I see they do it the right way but still havent ordered.
Should we be careful with orders over 150euros from Amazon.co.uk too? or it will be covered by their Handling fee n stuff?

This all make sense @paulboland. I thought it is a another scam from Zavvi and it really was. Btw what about Uk Amazon. I see they do it the right way but still havent ordered.
Should we be careful with orders over 150euros from Amazon.co.uk too? or it will be covered by their Handling fee n stuff?
Amazon UK apply EU Vat at checkout
They list this as Import fee deposit

Amazon remove UK vat first from price before they add import fee deposit

Import fee deposit is based on what the vat rate is of EU country delivery address.

If Amazon is the seller or a item fulfilled by amazon and item value is above €150 the Import fee deposit will also include customs duty
So you won't have postal carrier or courier be looking for any payment when doing delivery.

At the moment on Amazon UK with amazon as the seller if value is €22 or less you pay less than you did previously as no vat needs to be paid
Basically 20% cheaper
From July 1st 2021 the threshold of €22 to avoid paying Vat ends so you will be paying vat then.

Note above info that's only if amazon is the seller or a item fulfilled by amazon

Third Party sellers it can vary you might see UK vat removed or not be and EU vat not paid so beware in that regard.
From July 1st 2021 Third party sellers on Amazon will have EU vat at checkout if value €150 or less

To avoid any issues choose products on Amazon where Amazon is the seller or is a item fulfilled by amazon
You then won't have any surprises when been delivered.

Last edited:
Tried contacting Zavvi multiple times over the last month through the message feature on their site and received no response, so I reached out to them through Twitter instead and got a reply soon after... not only that but they offered me £5 credit as a goodwill gesture for the delay in shipping out my order (from December), which I actually misunderstood as them offering it as a refund at first since I'm used to their CS being super uncooperative, so I originally got a bit shirty with them until they pointed out that I'd misunderstood lol. Can't understand why their social media team are soooo much more helpful and understanding than their proper CS team... think I'll save my time and go directly to them with any issues in future!

• Informative
I am having an absolute nightmare getting a £60 refund for 2 damaged Star Wars steelbooks. Sent them back in Dec 2012 2020 and for months the only response I would get was "your refund will be processed when receive them". I uploaded proof of postage ages ago....now they are admitting they don't have them (despite the tracking saying delivered) and asked me to upload proof of posting again...except there was no option to upload to a existing message thread.

So, I started a new message thread with the proof of postage, and on the old one advised them that I started a new thread with the images and I just had a cut and paste response on how to upload an image, seems they are ignoring my new message thread entirely and not responding.

Now I have just started a new thread explaining every once again, in hopes someone picks it up....this is the first time I have had so much issue trying to get a refund.

I have also sent them a message on twitter asking them to look at my 2 refunds, hoping this gets solved soon

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Just an update with my problem, Yeah as mentioned previously by a few people it seems that Twitter is the best way to get a response from Zavvi if the website / email customer service are being....less than helpful. After a couple of Twitter messages from yesterday and today I am getting my refund for both.

Reactions: Jace88 and Noodles
Just an update with my problem, Yeah as mentioned previously by a few people it seems that Twitter is the best way to get a response from Zavvi if the website / email customer service are being....less than helpful. After a couple of Twitter messages from yesterday and today I am getting my refund for both.
s01e08 GIF

Seriously though, I'm surprised they gave you the money back after 8 years

lol I just noticed my mistake with that, no clue why I put 2012....it was 2020...still waited 3 months for a refund for a simple damaged steelbook
Yeah, it is frustrating. They obviously have a business model designed to frustrate people and have them give up on getting a refund. I'm happy you got a refund, you can now spend that money on more potentially damaged Zavvi goods :naughty:

Just a heads up to Zavvi customers if your returning items, I had to return a damaged item recently, and they seem to be operating a new system, no longer do you get a RA number on your returns note, and the Royal Mail link is not supplied, instead your supposed to use a new link to print a returns label (ZigZag is operating this according to zavvi)

Unfortunately when i went to select the returns provider, I was suddenly being asked to PAY £2.99 for the return !!!!, no way in hell i'm paying that for zavvis screw up. I don't know what they are playing at, but this new system is ridiculous.

I'm waiting to hear back as to why this is, and what they are doing about it. i'll update here when I know more.

Today for some reason I can no longer switch the "Your Settings" box off of "United Kingdom" to any other country.

I can't seem to reach any Zavvi site except for zavvi.com.

I can't change it the the U.S. or Germany.

Anybody else?

Any ideas @paulboland
I just tested and can change to any of the different Zavvi websites

Make sure you set region and language to the country of Zavvi website you want to use

USA also set shipping to USA to see correct prices for Zavvi USA website

If you want to change back to UK set all settings to UK

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
I just tested and can change to any of the different Zavvi websites

Make sure you set region and language to the country of Zavvi website you want to use

USA also set shipping to USA to see correct prices for Zavvi USA website

If you want to change back to UK set all settings to UK

Thank you for your reply, Paul

I decided to restart my computer and that fixed everything.

@paulboland do you have any info if Zavvi adjusted to new EU regulations regarding VAT from July 1st?
Depends on where item is shipped from

If shipped from UK warehouse based in Warrington zavvi arrange vat be paid with courier at no cost to customer if a delivery address is based in EU

I not been hit by customs on any order since January 1st items shipped from Guernsey zavvi warehouse or since July 1st an order shipped from Warrington the hut warehouse

If you do get hit by customs for vat just contact zavvi to refund you as their website list the following
For any products shipping from the UK to addresses in the EU, tax and duties will be settled on your behalf with our courier, so there is no cost to you.

Zavvi though really should be removing UK vat from price at checkout and applying EU vat and be clearly listed at checkout and on invoice even for items shipped from a EU warehouse or from Guernsey

If Zavvi have a website listed for your country use that if possible instead of using UK website
There will be some items though that are only available to order on UK website
Discount codes some dont work on Zavvi International websites but do work on UK website

Note Zavvi USA website is now separate from UK
You need a delivery address based in USA to get correct price when using Zavvi USA with USA releases example Arrow Video USA releases.

Note
You will see some USA only releases on Zavvi USA website that won't be listed on Zavvi UK or the other Zavvi International websites.

Reactions: Tompa
If you do get hit by customs for vat just contact zavvi to refund you as their website list the following
For any products shipping from the UK to addresses in the EU, tax and duties will be settled on your behalf with our courier, so there is no cost to you.
Hey @paulboland , if you don’t mind, can you please pin-point the location on Zavvi’s website where is this statement?

Hey @paulboland , if you don’t mind, can you please pin-point the location on Zavvi’s website where is this statement?

Brexit: Everything you need to know

Will I still be able to order to Europe and will I have to pay will I have to pay any additional tax or duty for my order post brexit
Zavvi can confirm that your shopping experience will not be impacted, and you will be able to continue to place orders as usual.

For customers located in the EU, most of our products will ship from our distribution centre within the EU and therefore ordering with us will continue as normal.

Basically any orders shipped from Hut Warehouse in Warrington zavvi will arrange tax and duties will be settled on your behalf with the courier, so there is no cost to you.

That is excatlly what happened with my Zavvi order for the collector's edition of Willy Wonka that was shipped from the Hut warehouse in warrington as in it was a item shipped from UK
I did not have to pay any vat when getting delivery and this was after July 1st 2021 as Zavvi paid the vat themselves
Courier just delivered my parcel no issues

• Thanks