Damaged SteelBook™ (From Retailers/Accidents) Sympathy & Venting!

Do you own a dented or damaged steelbook

• Yes

Votes: 324 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hi All,

It looks like our former thread has become unavailable, so I am posting a new one. Feel free to post pics and share your worst experiences with damaged Steelbooks as received from retailers. I've stickied this one for now.

Thanks,
DB

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys - got a steelbook in hand (bought from a member here), that unfortunately has some play in the covers.

What I mean by that - and this is the best way I can think to describe it - if you carefully place both hands flat against the covers and push slowly up/down they are very loose and move about alot (vertically).

Anyone know how this might be fixed?

Not having much joy with a return/refund with the member concerned (but that's another matter) so wanted to have a look at seeing if I could fix the issue.

Thanks in advance :)
Hey Ant, I had one that was really bad like that. I don't think there's much you can do with it. I tried taking my front and back panels off and tryed to gently bend the edges in so it was tighter. It didn't really help much though.:(

Reactions: Antman
i have this play on the front panel of my gorgeous lion king (asia version) hehehe.

this is what you would normally get for a very thin sheet metal that gets embossed or debosed to more than 50% of the surface, i don't worry about it....i've seen 4 copies all brand new and are like this where the metal panel is solidly clamped on the plastic panel but exhibits play on the debossing

since the first thread got lost in the remodel heres a repost of my recent damage:

And a HUGE thanks to Digitalbabe for the reincarnation of this thread!

a>

I got a similar one on my Star Trek Play.com steelbook. I think its when they open the box with a knife and slash the steelbook.

ouch !

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

i have this play on the front panel of my gorgeous lion king (asia version) hehehe.

this is what you would normally get for a very thin sheet metal that gets embossed or debosed to more than 50% of the surface, i don't worry about it....i've seen 4 copies all brand new and are like this where the metal panel is solidly clamped on the plastic panel but exhibits play on the debossing

On the plus side you can do what I do and pretend its a little steel bongo drum lol :hilarious:

@terry44

now that you mentioned it, i took it out and tried thumping it.....it did make a sound ! ...a very faint one though :D

Hey guys - got a steelbook in hand (bought from a member here), that unfortunately has some play in the covers.

What I mean by that - and this is the best way I can think to describe it - if you carefully place both hands flat against the covers and push slowly up/down they are very loose and move about alot (vertically).

Anyone know how this might be fixed?

Not having much joy with a return/refund with the member concerned (but that's another matter) so wanted to have a look at seeing if I could fix the issue.

Thanks in advance :)

Hey Ant, I had one that was really bad like that. I don't think there's much you can do with it. I tried taking my front and back panels off and tryed to gently bend the edges in so it was tighter. It didn't really help much though.:(

Same here my lion king has the same problems,as far as I am aware there is buggar all you can do about it m8

Depending on how much this actually bugs you there is something you can do, its not a fix because you cant fix it its slight overstretch due to the amount of work on the cover. This is an easy solution and anyone will be able to do this.

Depending on how much vertical travel you have you will need to decide if you only need to address either the top or the bottom or if you feel the gap is so much you will need to centre the cover and do both.

You will need a small tube of clear silicone a blade from a stanley knife(dont know what there called outside the UK) and a mirror or glass shelf.

Once you have decided if its one or both ends you will need 1 or 2 strips of silicone.

Measure the gap in your cover and cut the applicator nozzle on the silicone accordingly (If unsure cut small lay out a few strips then cut a slightly larger hole in the nozzle and repeat) till you have a few sets. When you lay the strips out do this as gentle as you can as you will be removing them from the surface when set.

The strips don't kneed to be any longer than the width of the cover and you just lay them out on what you have, mirror glass or even a ceramic tile.

The silicone is left to set giving you basically a clear non scratch packer as its set its not sticky anymore and is totally reversible and wont damage the cover in any way.

When set, slide the blade under the strip removing them from the surface, there will be very little mess left if you don't have a touch like an elephant and what is left is easily cleaned. You have just made your self a packer to fix your moving cover. Lay it in the top or bottom or both and refit, doing both will be slightly harder but not impossible.

Bearing in mind the cover is only moving 1 or 2 mm I would only do the bottom, its not likely you will remove this again but as I said earlier its totally reversible.

There you have now fixed that problem thats been bugging you well done :D time to crack open a few :cheers:

Does anyone have a damaged G2 steelbook with a 3 disk holder that they want to send my way? I will be needing it to convert a jumbo.

I´m sorry for you. That would be a nice Steel! Unfortunately a postman can´t look through the envelope so that´s an often damage.

This arrived yesterday. I wrote amazon.it about it and they answered i could keep this copy and they will send me a new one. I think i will use this copy for watching and will keep the new one sealed. Now i hope the replacement arrives undamaged!

The front is beautiful and intact.

04122011242.jpg

unfortunately the back is heavily dented

04122011237.jpg

04122011240.jpg

04122011239.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a lot of dents lately but yesterday was worst. Bought it over blu-ray forum from a seller who said it was opened and mint. Its the reason why I give in cause it was opened and the seller can confirm that its mint. It arrived with a lot of dent.

Oh no why do I have to see a damaged ***** Slap Steelbook.
I ordered mine already, I really hope I got it not dented like yours. But the packaging seems like play.com... and that is really bad and now it's oop so I can order a 2nd copy :ohno:

Status
Not open for further replies.