'Rare'/'Limited'/'Hard(er)' To Find SteelBook/Other Metal Eds List & Chat

Sirjump

Steelbook Viking
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2011
Norway
*PLEASE NOTE: This list is a 'guide' only and compiled based on a variety of factors including community 'feedback' and 'suggestions'. Steelbook collecting is HIGHLY SPECULATIVE, and different collectors have different ideas of 'rarity', 'limited', 'sought after', and related terms-all of which may change at the drop of a hat with re-releases, or new info.

Please visit the Steelbook forum, if you have more detailed questions regarding specific titles, and their 'current' status, as this list is 'dynamic' and changes over time. *

I posted this in another forum before but I prefer this one, so I try again here. This is an ongoing list that combines a variety of factors that may contribute to the scarcity or rarity of these Steelbooks.-Sirjump

We started off with a "ranked" list, but as many folks may rank items differently, a general "resource" list of harder to find Steelbooks/Rare titles helps the community more. Feel free to comment so we can consider adding or subtract. -Digitalbabe

:scat:Keep sharing your thoughts & together we can help the list evolve!:)

Possible criteria as to what makes a steelbook rare/hard to find:

* General interest in movie
* Availability at retailer & exclusivity
* Print run
* Country of origin & region code
* Steelcase design
* (Initial) price
* Individually numbered items
* Print Errors
* Hype
* Price on 3rd party marketplaces

In alphabetical order:

300 (1st Release)(Germany)
300 (Korea)
1408 (Germany)
2012 (Japan)
2012 (Taiwan)
10,000 BC (Crackle Laquer Edition)(Germany)

A-Team (Blu-ray Ironpack) (China)
Angels & Demons (Future Shop Exclusive)(Canada)
Avatar Extended Edition (Tin Box)(Australia)

Back to the Future Trilogy (Tin Box)(UK)
Batman Begins (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Batman Begins (Korea)
Body of Lies w/booklet(FNAC Exclusive)(France)
Bolt (Virgin Metalpak Exclusive)(France)

Captain America (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Captain America (Taiwan)
Cowboys & Aliens (Tin Box with Steelbook and Book)(Germany)
Cowboys & Aliens (Target Exclusive)(USA)
Cowboys & Aliens (Dutch Media Markt Exclusive)(Netherlands)

Death Race (Media Markt Exclusive)(Germany) (Note: G2 version only)
Der Nebel (The Mist)(Germany)
District 9 (HMV Exclusive)(UK)

Elite Squad (Blufans.com Exclusive Viva Metal Box)(China)
Evil Dead (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)

Farewell My Concubine (Blufans.com Exclusive)(China)
Fast and Furious 5 - Mega MAX Edition (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Fight Club (Germany)
Final Fantasy VII (Asia)
Flammen & Citronen (Denmark)

Gladiator (Taiwan)
Gladiator Metal Slipcase (Australia)
Green Zone (Australia)

Halloween (Germany)
Hellboy 2 (FNAC Exclusive with booklet)(France)
Hellboy 2 (Media Markt Exclusive)(Germany)
Hugo (Korea)
The Hurt Locker (Korea)
The Hurt Locker - G1 (Best Buy Exclusive)(USA)

I Am Legend (Future Shop Exclusive)(Canada)
Ice Age Trilogy (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China)
Inception Briefcase (FNAC Exclusive)(France)
Inception 1st release (Japan)
Independence Day (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China) missing "I" due to misprint on spine
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (FS, CA)
Inglorious Bastards Metal Slipcase (Australia)
Inglourious Basterds (Future Shop Exclusive with dog tags)(Canada)
Inglourious Basterds (FNAC Exclusive)(France)
Iron Man (Future Shop)(Canada)
Iron Man (Media Markt Exclusive)(Germany)
Iron Man 2 (Hong Kong)
Iron Man 2 (Taiwan)
Iron Man 2 - G1 (Japan)
Iron Sky with booklet and poster (Japan)

Jaws with booklet and clear slipcase (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
John Carter (Future Shop Exclusive Viva Metal Box)(Canada)
John Rambo (Amazon.de Exclusive with Tattoo sticker)(Germany)
John Rambo (Media Markt Exclusive with uncut disc)(Germany)

King's Speech (Viva Metal Box)(China)
Knight and Day (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China)

Lawrence of Arabia (HDzeta Exclusive)(China)
Le Grand Bleu (Japan)
Let The Bullets Fly (Blufans.com Exclusive)(China)

Machete (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Metropolis (UK)
Minority Report (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China)
Moulin Rouge (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China)

Pan's Labyrinth (Germany) The First Steelbook!
Predators (Play.com Exclusive)(UK)
Public Enemies (Future Shop Exclusive)(Canada)
Pulp Fiction (France)

Real Steel (Blufans.com Exclusive Viva Metal Box) (China)
Resident Evil Trilogy (Germany)
Resident Evil Trilogy (Korea)
Rio (Blufans Exclusive)(China)
Romeo & Juliet (Blu-ray Ironpack)(China)

Saving Private Ryan Metal Slipcase (Australia)
Scott Pilgrim (UK)
Senna (Ultimate Collector's Edition Metal Box)(Australia)
Smokin' Aces Metal Slipcase (Australia)
Star Trek (Future Shop Exclusive)(Canada)
Star Trek (Play.com Exclusive)(UK)
Star Wars Clone Wars (Netherlands)
Sucker Punch (JB-Hifi Exclusive) (Australia)
Sucker Punch - G1 (Comic Con Exclusive)(USA)
Sucker Punch 1st Release (Germany)
Sweeney Todd (Play.com Exclusive)(UK)

Terminator 2 (V2.0)(Japan)
Terminator 2 (Australian Slipcase)

Terminator Salvation (Blu-ray IronPack)(Canada)
Terminator Salvation (FNAC Exclusive)(France)
Terminator Salvation (Taiwan)
Terminator Salvation (Play.com Exclusive)(UK)
The Dark Knight - Metal Slipcase, numbered limited release (Australia)
The Dark Knight (FNAC Exclusive)(France)
The Dark Knight-1st Release (Netherlands)
The Dark Knight (Japan)
The Dark Knight (Korea)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Amazon.jp Exclusive) (Japan)
The Godfather Metal Slipcase (Australia)
The Godfather Part II Metal Slipcase (Australia)
The Godfather Part III Metal Slipcase (Australia)
The Thing (1982) (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Thor (Amazon JP Exclusive)(Japan)
Thor (Korea)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Lenticular slipcover)(Hong Kong)
Transformers Revenge of the Fallen (Future Shop Exclusive)(Canada)
Tron Legacy (FNAC Exclusive)(France)

Wanted (Media Markt Exclusive Debossed Edition)(Germany)
Watchmen (Futureshop Exclusive)(Canada)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (FNAC Exclusive)(France)

Zombieland (Germany)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 500
Last edited by a moderator:
I've just bought The Notebook metalpak. I've been looking into it for a while but there seems to be very little info on any of the forums. Is it a rare release? It's my first metalpak so I'm not up to speed on rarity with them. Any ideas on the print run?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Whilst it is time for an update of this "official" list, mods, oh boy, what a mixed year 2013 has been. As I began the year securing what is IMHO the rarest steelbook in the world, I also saw many buddies, from UK to Thailand, from USA to Australia, giving up the hobby for various reasons. I also ordered and received a whole batch of German steels (part of a January wave) that broke my spirit, so to speak.

This is the year steelbooks hit mass market (as some of us predicted in 2012), but the consequences were far from what we expected. Old boys lost interest with so many new releases (and re-releases), new players had too many steels to buy (and hence gave up too), everyone wanted Disneys, blufans and kimchis, and no one was crazy enough to buy every single release of every country, which was still possible a mere 18 months ago. From a retailer's perspective, money rolled. From an entrepreneur's perspective, losses loomed. From a collector's perspective, the allure disappeared.

This is the year Futureshop became a fringe player (which 2013 FS release do you love in your collection? If you have any), and this is the year when the golden age of German steels is truly over (last great DE steel? Anyone?).

This is the year FNAC played it real slow. I still love you, FNAC, but it doesn't seem so for many others (based on reception of FNAC GBs this year).

This is the year the mystique of Asian steels dipped and soared, and dipped and soared again, like the stock market. JP steels seemed to have lost the plot with the Goonies / Amadeus wave, and KR steels almost never OOS unless they are kimchi exclusives. TW steels are bit players now, the slips are all so ordinary and the quantities are all so many. How about HK? SG? TH? India? All mediocre...but there were highlights (e.g. WWZ TW, Dredd JP, Avatar KR)

This is the year Kimchi became the great pretender. To holy grails. It ended the year with T2 and LGB going for less than $75 and $100 respectively, (whilst T2 V2 JP and LGB JP are becoming more and more impossible to find). And Monsters University have lenticular problems. I do look forward to Amelie though...

This is the year Zavvi released more steels in one year than FNAC has in its entire history. Without fear or favour, with no regard to taste or theme, with little effort or endeavour to return some magic to steel-collecting. Good riddance to you, Zavvi, that you end the year with a 24-hour flash sale with steels at 4.99p.

This is the year I salute you, Blufans. Other than a minor blip in the form of Jack Reacher, your releases continue to intrigue and surprise me. Shine the light forward, please.

This is the year VMBs are no more, legally (or was it last year? lol). And not a single metal slipcase came out from down under. What is the future of steelbooks? Futurepaks? Like Man of Steel KR. Metalpaks? Like FF VII CN. Who knows? I don't know anymore, and I don't really think about it anymore. I am just happy that I have Gladiator TW as 2013 closes. 2014 is going to be an uncertain year, and I remain mildly intrigued at what will happen to steel-collecting.

Happy New Year to one and all, HDN!

Time for an update to the rare list, mods, as 2012 comes to a close. It has been a smashing year for steel collecting, and in many ways, a landmark year for steelbooks and the like.

It is a year when everyone comes to an almost similar consensus what are the holy grails, the average price of steel crept upwards, and rare steel even more, and new collectors popped up everywhere in the world.

This is the year when Asian slips soared like a phoenix, but dived just as quickly like a falling rock, whilst FNAC retained its worldwide appeal.

This is the year that the German retailers killed their own market with re-releases (Zombieland, Matrix, Faster etc), and Futureshop loses its lustre a little with no likely grail on offer (most valuable FS steel on offer? John Carter).

This is the year Play UK released so many steels I lost count, and Singapore had its 15 minutes of fame with Avengers embossed slipcover VMB.

This is the year of the Lenticular (Transformers HK, Media Markt steels), the year to say hello and goodbye to blufans and the term "world exclusive" became a truly rare and dying breed.

This is the year John Rambo tattoo sealed with stickers became the most expensive steel in the world, but the jury's still out on whether there is such a thing as a factory sealed LGB.

I am so looking forward to 2013...have a Happy New Year, one and all at HDN!

Whilst it is time for an update of this "official" list, mods, oh boy, what a mixed year 2013 has been. As I began the year securing what is IMHO the rarest steelbook in the world, I also saw many buddies, from UK to Thailand, from USA to Australia, giving up the hobby for various reasons. I also ordered and received a whole batch of German steels (part of a January wave) that broke my spirit, so to speak.

This is the year steelbooks hit mass market (as some of us predicted in 2012), but the consequences were far from what we expected. Old boys lost interest with so many new releases (and re-releases), new players had too many steels to buy (and hence gave up too), everyone wanted Disneys, blufans and kimchis, and no one was crazy enough to buy every single release of every country, which was still possible a mere 18 months ago. From a retailer's perspective, money rolled. From an entrepreneur's perspective, losses loomed. From a collector's perspective, the allure disappeared.

This is the year Futureshop became a fringe player (which 2013 FS release do you love in your collection? If you have any), and this is the year when the golden age of German steels is truly over (last great DE steel? Anyone?).

This is the year FNAC played it real slow. I still love you, FNAC, but it doesn't seem so for many others (based on reception of FNAC GBs this year).

This is the year the mystique of Asian steels dipped and soared, and dipped and soared again, like the stock market. JP steels seemed to have lost the plot with the Goonies / Amadeus wave, and KR steels almost never OOS unless they are kimchi exclusives. TW steels are bit players now, the slips are all so ordinary and the quantities are all so many. How about HK? SG? TH? India? All mediocre...but there were highlights (e.g. WWZ TW, Dredd JP, Avatar KR)

This is the year Kimchi became the great pretender. To holy grails. It ended the year with T2 and LGB going for less than $75 and $100 respectively, (whilst T2 V2 JP and LGB JP are becoming more and more impossible to find). And Monsters University have lenticular problems. I do look forward to Amelie though...

This is the year Zavvi released more steels in one year than FNAC has in its entire history. Without fear or favour, with no regard to taste or theme, with little effort or endeavour to return some magic to steel-collecting. Good riddance to you, Zavvi, that you end the year with a 24-hour flash sale with steels at 4.99p.

This is the year I salute you, Blufans. Other than a minor blip in the form of Jack Reacher, your releases continue to intrigue and surprise me. Shine the light forward, please.

This is the year VMBs are no more, legally (or was it last year? lol). And not a single metal slipcase came out from down under. What is the future of steelbooks? Futurepaks? Like Man of Steel KR. Metalpaks? Like FF VII CN. Who knows? I don't know anymore, and I don't really think about it anymore. I am just happy that I have Gladiator TW as 2013 closes. 2014 is going to be an uncertain year, and I remain mildly intrigued at what will happen to steel-collecting.

Happy New Year to one and all, HDN!

Well written mate :thumbs: You really did justice to this post and in explaining whatever happened to this hobby this year. We all have seen better days collecting steelbooks but this year was all about too many releases to handle. But just as you said there were Kimchi and Blufans to save the day and make this hobby worthwhile.

Wishing you and the entire HDN community a Very Happy & Prosperous New Year!

Reactions: Aprilarrow
Does anyone knows how much ... 9 (nine) MetalCases appeared in Holland.
I secured a copy from Ebay yesterday. I knew it existed, but I never ever came across one
(even not in shops) until yesterday.

That same question goes for Season of The Witch. I have both the Dutch Steelbook and The Dutch MetalCase (MetalCase came today with the mail), and Solomon Kane MetalCase, which I also have.

Last edited:
Should Show White and the Seven Dwarfs appear on this list. This is the one WITH discs. I know the empty case is very easy to pick up, however the version with discs isn't. I've been asking about this for about a year now, and keep getting told it doesn't exist. I even stopped looking and concentrated on Volt (Bolt Virgin Metalpack) and I've seen loads of those, both opened and sealed. This last week I resumed my search for SWATSD and have finally found one - it should be in the postal system to me now :)

So - Should it be on the list, or have I just been incredibly unlucky in my searches ?

I doubt he will reply @Hardcore that reply was from 2011. But I can confirm its a metalpak and it is very rare and its actually awesome. I own it. It was hard for me to track down like 1 year after release couldnt imagine now. Great art, and gloss.

11jacl0.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mnementh
Any suggestions on places to buy online besides Ebay/Amazon/Bestbuy/Walmart websites? I'm looking for a particular steelbook item, but it appears to be sold out at these places and otherwise selling for a high markup on Ebay.